The ATR team extends to you and your family our best wishes for a safe and happy festive season, and we thank you for your contribution to an amazing year for the registry.
We share some of our 2013 highlights with you:
- Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary of Denmark became the International Patron of the Australian Twin Registry in 2013. In October, she toured her first ATR-supported twin study in Sydney with Crown Prince Frederik. This video shows her meeting ATR members and researchers.
- With the help of our members, the ATR supported 10 twin studies in 2013, reflecting a huge diversity of research from singing ability, addiction, eating habits, mental wellbeing, diabetes, dementia, epilepsy, and bone health.
- Over 10,000 ATR members around Australia have been invited to participate in twin studies this year. Find out about studies seeking twins in 2014 here.
- Unprecedented media coverage of the ATR contributed to over 2000 new twin pairs and 50 triplets joining the registry.
- The ATR hosted a visit to Australia of world renowned twin researcher and geneticist Professor Tim Spector, raising awareness of the vital role of twins in research. You can listen to his main public address online.
- With government cutbacks in funding medical research, the ATR explored other avenues for fundraising and public donations. Our members responded generously, donating nearly $15,000 this year.
- Our website and social media channels continued to grow in popularity with our Facebook attracting nearly 5000 followers. In addition, a printed issue of the 2013ATR Magazine was mailed to over 50,000 member households.
We greatly appreciate your support throughout 2013 and we look forward to sharing many exciting new initiatives with you in 2014.
Professor John Hopper AM
Director, Australian Twin Registry