We undertake research with twins to generate new knowledge to improve everyone’s health and prevent disease. Twin research is not just for twins, everyone can benefit.
It is the differences between twins, just as much as their similarities that are helping researchers to unravel medical mysteries from cancer to obesity.
Also we seek to improve the lives of multiple-birth families by undertaking research of particular relevance to them, nurturing community connection, providing evidence-based resources, and advocating on their behalf.
While twins and research are at the heart of our organisation, you may be surprised by the scope of our programs as part of being Australia’s foremost twin research institute.
1. We are researchers. We undertake research to improve health for everyone.
2. We enable research. We grow and maintain a register of twins; foster their interest in joining in research for the greater good; seek to provide positive experiences; and advocate for twins.
3. We are experts in twin research methods. We advise researchers on designing twin study models, provide access to historical data, and to recruit and facilitate twin participation.
4. We are entrepreneurs and innovators. We not only identify opportunities to grow knowledge, but we also pioneer new ways to undertake research for improved returns on research investment and to accelerate health knowledge.
5. We are collaborators. It is fundamental to the way we do business. We go beyond just undertaking a collaborative study. We collaborate to better connect the twin research community across the globe. With the best minds working together, we have the best chance for discovery.
6. We share knowledge. We translate study findings into practice, policy, and evidence-based resources available to our communities.